Today we welcome back Jade Varden to the blog. She was last with us for a character interview with River, and today she is here to answer Ten Questions with Mia. Welcome back!
* * *
Author Bio: Jade Varden writes young adult novels for teen readers, using real settings and situations to create rich detail in her stories. Jade blended fashion, romance and mystery together to create her YA book series, Deck of Lies. When she’s not crafting mysteries in her books, Jade also blogs practical writing tips for authors who self-publish. Follow her on Twitter @JadeVarden. Visit Jade’s blog for reviews, writing tips, self-publishing advice and everything else you ever wanted to know about reading and writing books.
1. What five words describe you?
Passionate, optimistic, introspective, analytical and creative.
2. What was the first story you ever wrote? I mean the really bad one we all have that you’re trying to hide in the back of closet now that you’re published?
I once wrote a story that had something to do with a dollhouse. I barely remember it, but my main character somehow ended up living inside the dollhouse with the doll family.
3. What inspires you?
Asking questions. I’ll start thinking about something, and wondering what the world would be like if this thing was completely different suddenly…somehow I get ideas out of this.
4. What distracts you?
My cats, and other people. Any living creature immediately around me when I’m writing. Oddly, the TV affects me not at all. Twitter is also a huge distraction. I’m always checking it.
5. What’s your favorite story? This can be specific, as in a particular book or even story-driven movie, or general, like “I’m a sucker for a hero looking for redemption story.”
Gone With the Wind is my favorite book and movie, and Scarlett is my favorite heroine.
* * *
About the Writing
1. Tell us about your currently available titles.
My 4-book series, Deck of Lies, is currently available. Each book in the Deck is out right now, and you can get all 4 in a boxed set edition (Deck of Lies: The Full Deck). The boxed set contains bonus materials and lots of extras.
2. What’s your favorite part about writing these stories?
I love getting reviews and reading along as other people work their way through all the mysteries. I particularly enjoy reading their theories as they move through the series.
3. What would your characters say about you? Be honest!
That I’m always testing them, and purposefully setting them up to fail.
4. Who would play your favorite character if they made a movie of their story?
Skylar Samuels has the perfect look for Rain, I think.
5. Do you have any projects currently in the works you want to talk about?
I am working on something, but I just started it. I will say it’s YA, but it’s vastly different from Deck of Lies. It’s not a mystery, and I think that will surprise a lot of my readers.
* * *
Thank you for joining us today, Jade, and good luck with your stories!